1/21/2015

Room and judge pools


CP sets up a nice, neat tournament. I tabbed what he set up for Lexington, and pass along two things.

First, he set up rooms in advance, via room pools, for every round. With big college tournaments, where we’re switching buildings all the time, I also do that, but if I’m in one building all the time, i.e., the average high school, I do it the other way around. That is, I remove rooms from the pool when we get into elims, rather than setting them up first. His way is tidier, although a little more labor intensive. It might be a best practice, though. By the way, unless you have a very simple tournament without break rounds, room pools are a must. I think that’s one of the hardest things for people to figure out about tabroom.

Second, he set up a judge pool for each elim round after the first one, which of course uses all judges. You fill the next pool after the previous round goes off; this is all on the paneling/judges/pool-judges page. It will move in only the obligated schools and the hireds. I’ve just been making one pool of break-round judges and trimming it after each round. His way is definitely better, another best practice. One additional thing I do like to do, though it isn't necessary, is mark judges inactive so that they won’t show at all in any pool. Tabroom ignores time-struck judges, so it’s not as if they’ll be used, but if I see a lot of judges that look like they’re there, I want them to actually be there. We all have our anal moments.

No comments:

Post a Comment